The IndieGoGo campaign I created to fund the production of prints of my new paintings reached it’s target on Sunday! Thank you so much to those who contributed, and if you missed out they will be available for purchase through my website in the next few months. Watch this space!
Transgender day of remembrance is an event that is commemorated on November 20th to remember those who have lost their lives due to transphobic violence around the world. Through this day we remember those who have been lost to violence, as well as raise awareness of the struggles that many trans* people face because of their gender identity and expression. One of the main features of these events is called the Reading of the Names, in which the names of those who have lost their lives are read out so they can each be honoured.
This year I am involved with a project called Trans/Forms, which will be an exhibition and panel discussion with a group of trans* artists from across the UK taking place in Hamilton House in Bristol. As part of this I am doing an installation which will be a visual interpretation of the Reading of the Names – I will be making a butterfly for each of those who have been killed with their name and other details, and hanging them in the space. The butterfly has been used as a symbol for trans* people as it represents transformation and the hope that we will be able to express our true gender free from violence and marginalisation.
And this is where I need your help – I would like to receive images from trans* people and allies to use as the butterflies, and each one will be used as a background for one of the names.
Here is what I’ll need:
- if you’re in Bristol you can drop them into the Hamilton house reception, in the same building as the Canteen on Stokes Croft (please address it to Chris Hubley), otherwise you can email digital files to chrisjhubley at gmail dot com
- If you are scanning pieces please do so at at least 144dpi
- The size will be to fit on A4 because I’m expecting to be printing out images that are sent to me (though if you’re bringing it in it can be larger than this)
- They can either be a butterfly shape already or not, you can send me an image which I will cut into shape
- They can be as simple or as complicated as you want, abstract or pictorial, and in any medium
- People who don’t consider themselves artists are especially encouraged to submit
- The deadline for submissions is Tuesday the 10th of November
If you have any questions about this project please contact me. I will be posting the submissions on my page as I recieve them, either with names/links or anonymously.
Thanks and lots of love xx